Hope and Wish

 

Hope vs. Wish

Have you ever said (or heard) something like this: I wish I pass my test.

It sounds good, right? Actually, it is a common mistake.

There are many verbs in English that are close enough in meaning that students confuse them. Most of the time, a native speaker will know what you are trying to say, but if you use the words correctly, you will sound more fluent.

A common mistake that many students make is confusing hope and wish.

 

Learn the Basics

Hope: to desire something good or positive in the future

We use 'hope' to talk about things in the present or future that we think have a good chance of happening. On the other hand, we use 'wish' to talk about things that are impossible or unlikely.

We usually need to use '(that) + clause' after 'hope' or 'to + infinitive'. It's very common to drop 'that'.

  • I hope that you have a great time.
  • I hope that she passed the exam.
  • I hope to pass the exam.
  • I hope to get there early.

We can also use two short answers: 'I hope so' and 'I hope not'.

Hope for the present
We can use the present simple (mostly for stative verbs) or the present continuous.

  • I hope (that) it's sunny where you are.
  • I hope (that) she's having a wonderful time.

Hope for the future
We can use either the present simple (more common) or the future simple (less common). It usually doesn't change the meaning.

  • I hope that she comes to the party tomorrow.
  • I hope that she'll come to the party tomorrow.

We often use 'can' with 'hope' for the future.

  • I hope you can come to the party tomorrow.

We can use 'to + infinitive' with 'hope' for the future. When we use 'to + infinitive', the subject is the same as the subject of 'hope'.

  • I hope to come to the party tomorrow. (=I hope I can come to the party tomorrow.)
  • I hope to run a marathon this year.

Hope for the past
We can also use 'hope' to talk about the past when we think it was possible for the thing to really happen.

1: We can use 'hope' for the past when something happened and is finished, but we don't know what the result was. For example, if you have taken an exam, but I don't know if you passed or not. We still use 'hope' in the present tense, because it's something that we hope now, but the thing that we're thinking about is in the past. We can use the past tenses and the present perfect in the normal way (if something has an effect on the present, we use the present perfect and so on).

  • I hope she passed the exam.
  • I hope John hasn't got lost.
  • I hope Amanda found her keys.

2: We can use 'hope' for the past when we do know the result or outcome. For example, if you have taken an exam and failed and I know you failed. In this case, we use 'hope' in a past tense, because we no longer hope for the event or thing; we know it didn't happen. We use it to tell someone about how we felt in the past.

  • I hoped you would pass the exam. (But you didn't pass).
  • I hoped I'd see Lucy at the meeting. (But I didn't see her.)

It's common to use 'hope' in the past continuous (which doesn't really change the meaning from the past simple) and in the past perfect (which makes the idea that the hoping is finished stronger) in these kinds of sentences.

  • I was hoping you would pass the exam.
  • I had hoped you would pass the exam.

This use is very compatible with the third conditional.

  • I was hoping to pass the exam, and I would have passed it if I hadn't got sick.

The present continuous can also be used with 'hope' and here the difference between present and future is even stronger. If someone says:

"I hope that you're thinking of me"...

it clearly means that they hope the person is thinking of them right now, but -

"I hope that you'll be thinking of me"

"I hope he will like his new job"

obviously refers to some time in the future.

So to sum up, it's probably better to use hope + present, as this is more flexible, and only ever use hope + will if you are very clear that your meaning is in the future.


Hope for 'future in the past'
Advanced point: Sometimes we use 'hope' for 'future in the past'. So, in the following example, the mother thought, in the past, 'I hope my son will go to university', and when we talk about this from the present, we use 'would'. We don't know if the son in fact went to university or not from this sentence.

  • She always hoped that her son would go to university.

Another example:

  • I got lost in the middle of London and I hoped that I would be able to find my way back to my hotel. (We don't know if the person found the hotel or not.)

Hope for negative wishes
It's also possible to use 'hope' in a very negative way. In this case, the thing doesn't need to be possible.

  • I hope your hair falls out and you lose all your money!

Wish: to desire something that is impossible or not likely to happen

“Wish” can be paired with a past perfect verb in order to express regret: Unreal in the past.

            >I wish I hadn’t said that(I said something stupid, and now I regret it.)

            >I wish I had studied harder for the test. (I didn’t study for the test, and now I regret it.)

“Wish” can also be paired with a simple past verb or conditional modal in order to express an unreal present desire:

            >I wish I had a bigger house. (In reality, my house is small)

            >I wish I didn’t have a big test tomorrow.

            >I wish I could learn English faster.

            >I wish I were** taller.

**This follows the same rule as second conditional: the “be” verb is always “were” even when the subject is “I.”

One reason this verb can be confusing is the special expression, “I wish you noun.” This means “I want noun for you.” It is the only time you can use “wish” for something real.

            >I wish you the best.

            >I wish you peace and happiness for the rest of your life.

Test your Knowledge

What is the difference between these two statements?

            >I hope I can improve my English.

            >I wish I could improve my English.

Remember that “hope” expresses something that the speaker believes is possible. The first sentence above means that I want to improve my English, and I think it is possible.

“Wish,” on the other hand, expresses something that the speaker believes is not possible right now. The second sentence above means that I want to improve my English, but I don’t think it is possible.Keep a lookout for our next Meet Our Academic Team grammar post as we pool together handy tips and lessons from our instructors all over the world.



Comments

  1. 1. I wish I had cooked my dinner delicious yesterday.
    2. I wish I had a motorcycle and could drive.
    3. I wish I had visited Cajamarca in the past.
    4. I was hoping my mom would come visit me.
    5. I hope I can travel in December.
    6. I hope my mom cooked
    lunch.
    By :Damaris Alvites

    ReplyDelete
  2. By: Sheyla Padilla
    -I hope tomorrow is a sunny day.
    -We hope to pass all the exams.
    -I hope to be able to travel in the August vacations.
    -I wish I could have my own company.
    -I wish I had gotten better grades in 2019
    -I wish I can know many countries

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Hope you have a good bike.
    2. I hope you like my food.
    3. I hope you like hanging out with me.
    4. I wish I had my own girlfriend.
    5. I wish I had my own cell phone.
    6. I wish I had my grades up fifteen.
    by: Felix Ramìrez

    ReplyDelete
  4. By: Yeni Perez Huamán
    I hope you had a nice day
    I hope my volleyball team win this time
    My family hoped that he will enter the university to study Ingenería.
    I hoped to go to meet Cusco with my family
    I hoped to go for a walk through the park
    I wish I lived in a house facing the sea
    I wish I had lived at my grandparents' house last year
    I wish I had a visit Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  5. ( by: Edwin Fernandez)

    1) I hope you like my work
    2) I hope my brother is doing homework
    3) I hope to see that movie on Sunday
    4) I wish I had visited Madrid in the past
    5) I wish I played soccer very well
    6) I wish I had studied last year

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. - I wish could go back to the past.
    - I wish I had my own company.
    - I wish I had done my homework.
    - I hope you had a nice week.
    - I hope the sun rose yesterday.
    - I hope you studied for tomorrow's exam.
    by: cristian calle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had my own company
    I wish I had a big house
    I wish I had done my homework
    I hope my team would win the game
    I hope the sun rose yesterday
    I hope you had a good day

    ReplyDelete
  9. By: Alessandro Gomez

    HOPE

    1. I hope to you had a great day
    2. I hope the people who where injured in the world are well
    3. I hope you do your best in what you want

    WISH

    1.I wish you a lot of health and life hater.
    2. I wish you take care of your self
    3. I wish i had everything I want

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1.I hope I can improve my italiano.
    2. I hope you are happy.
    3. I hope you slept well.
    4. I wish I could improve my italiano
    5. I wish I could eat ajinomen.
    6. I wish I wanted.
    BY: jeff echevarria

    ReplyDelete
  11. by. DEANELLI JULCA

    1. I hope they give me a gift tomorrow.
    2. I hope to pass all the courses of the cycle.
    3. I hope I can travel to the mountains.
    4. I wish I could have my own business.
    5. I wish I could have a good job.
    6. I wish I could get to know many places in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  12. - I wish i had my own house
    - I wish I played soccer very well
    - I wish I bought my own car
    - I hope I can improve in soccer
    - I hope I have moved on to the next phase
    - I hope you like your new hairstyle
    By Widman

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1.I wish could go back to the past.
    2.Iwish bought my own house.
    3.I wish I could visit Londres.
    4.I hope you had a good weekend.
    5.I hope come to peru in plane.
    6.I hope I cam travel on Monday.
    By (juanita tocas)

    ReplyDelete
  14. -I hope my team does not lose the game
    -I hope I can go out for a walk next week with my brother
    -I hope tomorrow is not a rainy day
    -I wish I could travel to many beautiful places
    -I wish I could have my own car
    -I wish I had obtained a veca of studies
    BY: Jose rafael-

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you are in good health.
    I hope have a good day tomorrow.
    I was hoping to learn English.
    I wish I could travel soon.
    I wish I could visit my family.
    I wish I traveled to London (by: Gisela Vargas)

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1) I wish I had more money to feed all the street animals.
    2) I wish my best friend were at my graduation, sadly he passed away 3 years ago.
    3) I wish I hadn't told her lies, she's so mad at me right now
    4) i hope i pass the exam, so i will be proud of myself.
    5) i hope you will be praying for me.
    6) i hope my father is coming soon at home, we miss him a lot.
    BY MAGDIEL

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1. I wish I had my own accounting firm.
    2.I wish I could learn sew my own clothes.
    3. I wish you a happy vacation.
    4. I hoped you would my romantic dinner.
    5. I was hoping you would prepare the surprise trip to mom.
    6. I hoped I'd see how Juan proposed to Juanita.
    by. giovany castillo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. I wish I could visit selena's museum
    2. I hope you give me a juane
    3. I wish i met actor henry cavill
    4. I hope to learn to cook ceviche
    5. I wish I was the best accountant
    6.I hope to travel around the world
    by keisy lópez vásquez

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish I had my own home
    I wish I had a brand new truck
    I wish I had made my food
    I hope Peru wins the game
    I hope the moon rose yesterday
    I hope you had a beautiful night
    By: Frank Tantarico

    ReplyDelete
  20. (By: Ruth Cristina)
    1. Hope there's still ice cream in the fridge.
    2. I wish I could pass the exams.
    3. They wish they didn't have to get up early this weekend.
    4. They hope you are enjoying the course.
    5. I hope you get home safe and sound.
    6. I wish I had traveled to Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  21. By Rocio Sanchez
    1. I hope to get good grades.
    2. I hope everything goes well.
    3. I hope that with our support good results will be achieved.
    4. I wish I had gone on a trip.
    5. I wish I lived in Brazil.
    6. I wish I had a pool.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wish I had my motorcycle
    I wish I had a big house
    I wish I had a lot of money
    I hope you paint other picture
    I hope you run more
    I hope you drive better
    BY: Farid Pinedo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Esperanza.
    1. I hope you can go on a trip tomorrow.
    2. hope you passed the exam.
    3. I hope to pass this cycle.
    Desear.
    1. Wish I could buy a bus.
    2. I wish you have good news.
    3. I wish the day to deliver the work does not come. (Fiorela Mendez)

    ReplyDelete
  24. 1. I hope that my answers to the questions are satisfactory.
    2. I hope you have a great weekend.
    3. I was hoping to win the first prize.
    3. I wish I had done a better job explaining things.
    4. I hoped you would mis padres be proud of mis accomplishments.
    5. I wish I could know different countries of the world.
    6. I hope I can have my own company.
    By. Noli Cubas

    ReplyDelete
  25. 1.I wish i had my doctorate
    2.I wish I had a big house
    3.I wish I had the opportunity to travel to various countries
    4. I hope to graduate very soon
    5. I hope to have my own company
    6.I hope to be a great accountant.
    By: Lily Carrasco

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Perfect

Accounting equation

Phrase and conversation