Reported S

 Reported Speech



Direct speech:

We repeat the speaker’s words.
He said, "I have lost my key." (no tense shift)

Indirect speech / Reported Speech:

We give the exact meaning of a speech without necessarily using the speaker's exact words. If we want to mention who the speaker talked to, we use told, otherwise we use said.

She said that she had lost her wallet.

She told me that she had lost her wallet.


B. Expressions of Time and Place in Reported Speech

Direct SpeechIndirect Speech
Pronouns and possessive adjectivesWe usually change from first or second to third person except when the speaker is reporting his own words.
todaythat day
yesterdaythe day before (the previous day)
Tomorrow / the next dayThe following day
The day before yesterdayTwo days before / earlier
Yesterday morningThe previous morning
A year / month / week agoA year before / earlier
The day after tomorrowIn two days' time
Next week / month / yearThe following week / month / year
nowthen
tonightthat night
herehere / there
thisthat, it
thesethose
cancould
willwould
couldcould
maymight
mightmight
have to / has tohad to
mustmust
ought to / shouldought to / should



If the main verb is in the present tense, we don't change the tense in the direct speech.

Examples:

Direct: Paul says, "I don't like coffee."
Indirect: Paul says that he doesn't like coffee.

Direct: Dwayne says, "I didn't do my homework."
Indirect: Dwayne says that he didn't do his homework.


Direct : He said, "You don't know my language."
Indirect : He said that I didn't know his language.
Direct : I said, "I sold my book."
Indirect : I said that I had sold my book.
Direct : She said to me, "Your brother is bothering me."
Indirect : She told me that my brother was bothering her.


We join the indirect and the direct parts of a sentence with that. Sometimes we may omit that.

Examples:

Direct : They said, "We love our teacher."
Indirect : They said that they loved their teacher.

Direct : Mr. Jones said to me, "I educated myself by reading widely."
Indirect : Mr. Jones told me that he had educated himself by reading widely.

Direct: The teacher said to her, "You have done your homework well."
Indirect: The teacher told her that she had done her homework well.

Direct: Mr. Woods said, "There are many boats in the harbor." Indirect: Mr. Woods said that there were many boats in the harbor.


Mixed Types


If a direct speech consists of mixed types, each section requires its own introductory verb.

Examples:

Direct: Theresa said, "I can't understand this lesson, mother. Please help me."
Indirect: Theresa told her mother that she couldn't understand that lesson and wanted her mother to help her.

Direct: Tia said to me, "I can't help you now. I am very tired."
Indirect: Tia told me that she couldn't help me then as she was very tired.

Direct: Carl said, "It's hot in here. Isn't the AC on?"
Indirect: Carl said that it was hot in there and asked if the AC was on or not.

Direct: Mr. Jefferson said to Helen, "Didn't you hear what I said? You must be quiet when I talk."
Indirect: Mr. Jefferson asked Helen if she had heard what he had said or not, and added that she must / had to be quiet when he talked.

Direct: David said, "Let's go to the movie theater!"
Indirect: David suggested that they should go to the movie theater.
Or
Dave suggested going to the move theater.

Direct: Penny said, "How about going for a walk?"
Indirect: Penny suggested that we might go for a walk.


Common Verbs used with Reported Speech


Add

boast

object

remind

Admit
complain

observe

reply

Announce

deny
point out

scream

Answer

grumble

promise
shout

Argue

inform

protest

whisper
Assure + Object

murmur

remark

yell

Allege

You will feel comfortable at this hotel.
The travel agent assured us that we would feel comfortable at that hotel.

I can’t finish all this work.
She protested that she couldn't finish all that work.

Note:

Deny can’t be used in negative.

I didn't steal the money.
He denied that he had stolen the money.


Reported Requests/Commands


When we put direct commands or requests into indirect speech we usually follow the below structure:

a.
 We use introductory verbs:
order, ask, tell, want and request, etc.

b. We use indirect objects after those introductory verbs.

c. The command or request in direct speech takes the infinitive form.

Examples:

Direct: He said "Exercise regularly."
Indirect: He asked me to exercise regularly.
Indirect: He wanted me to exercise regularly.
Indirect: He told me to exercise regularly.
Indirect: He requested that I exercised regularly.

Direct: "Don't turn off the lights."
Indirect: He asked not to turn off the lights.
Indirect: He ordered not to turn off the lights.

Direct: The sign says: "Don't drink and drive."
Indirect: The sign says not to drink and drive.
Indirect: The sign asks not to drink and drive.
Indirect: The sign requests not to drink and drive.
Indirect: The sign said not to drink and drive.
Indirect: The sign commands not to drink and drive.
Indirect: The sign screams at us not to drink and drive.

My Father: "Don't be late."
Indirect: My father warned us not to be late.
Indirect: My father asked us not to be late.

Indirect Speech Exclamations


Exclamations become statements in indirect speech.

Examples:


Direct: Shannon said, "What a pity!"
Indirect: Shannon said that it was a pity.

Direct: Hanna said, "Oh! It is impossible!"
Indirect: Hanna said that it was impossible.

Direct: Danny said, "What a lovely day!"
Indirect: Danny said that it was a lovely day.

"What a shot!"
Somebody said it was a (great) shot.

Y

Convert the sentences below from direct to indirect speech (reported speech statements).

1. Lena said, “I will invite you to my birthday party.”
.

2. Anderson said, “I will turn twenty today.”
.

3. Daniel said, “Things will get better.”
.

4. The doctor said, “Your aunt doesn’t need an operation.”
.

5. Wilma told me, “I will help you finish your homework.”
.

6. Robert said, “I will pass the exam.”
.

7. John told me, “I have seen this movie.”
.

8. Helen said, “I can speak Spanish fluently.”
.

9. Lucas told Lea, “I will not go swimming with you.”
.

10. Josh said, “I have finished my lunch.”
.

Comments

  1. Rocio said. “I had a headache yesterday.”
    By: Yeni Perez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rocio said that she had a headache the day before yesterday .

      Delete
  2. Jackson told me he was a sportsman.
    Jackson told me "I'm an athlete"

    ReplyDelete
  3. DIRECT: Gisela said "you will pass all the courses"

    INDIRECT: She said i will pass all the courses
    By: Sheyla Padilla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DIRECT: Gisela said "you will pass all the courses"

      INDIRECT: She said I would pass all the courses
      By: Sheyla Padilla

      Delete
  4. Diego said, ``we want to go to the river on Sunday``
    Diego told me that we will go to the river.
    By: Ary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DIR: Diego said, ``we want to go to the river on Sunday``
      IND: Diego told me that we would go to the river.

      Delete
    2. IND: .............................. we wanted ....

      Delete
  5. Direct: Henry said: "your room is very dirty"
    Indirect: Henry said my room was very dirty
    By: Lily Carrasco

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) jhair said you went to church

    2) He said I went to church
    by jeff echevarria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jhair said you´re went to church
      by jeff echevarria

      Delete
  7. DIRECTO:Sarely said,"I didn’t go to study yesterday".

    INDIRECTO:Sarely said that he hadn’t gone to study the day before.
    BY(juanita tocas)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DIRECTO:Sarely said,"I didn’t go to study yesterday".

      INDIRECTO:Sarely said that she hadn’t gone to study the day before.
      BY(juanita tocas)

      Delete
  8. DIRECT: Mr. Jersin told me, “I have seen this movie yesterday.”
    INDIRECT: Mr. Jersin told me that he had seen that movie the day before.
    BY. GIOVANY CASTILLO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. DIRECT: Mr. Jersin told me, "I saw this movie yesterday."
      INDIRECT: Mr. Jersin told me that he had seen that movie the day before.
      BY. GIOVANY CASTILLO

      Delete
  9. Yuribizaida: "I can give you a ride."
    She said that she could give me a ride

    ReplyDelete
  10. DIRECT: Daniela says: "I don't like to play soccer"
    INDIRECT: Daniela says she doesn't like to play soccer
    by: Erika Chayña

    ReplyDelete
  11. DIRECT: Jonatan told me, “we’ll go for ice cream on Saturday night".
    INDIRECT: Jonatan told me that we were going to eat ice cream on Saturday night.
    BY : MAGDIEL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Direct:Ashlie said "your new blouse is pretty".
    Indirect:She said "my new blouse is pretty"
    By Keisy López

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DIRECT: Ashlie said your blouse was pretty.
      INDIRECT: She said my blouse was pretty

      Delete
  13. DIRECT: Omar said he will travel next year
    INDIRECT: He said to travel next year

    ReplyDelete
  14. Direct: Maria said: "I will invite you to my graduation"
    Indirect: she said she would invite me to her graduation
    BY: MERLI COTRINA

    ReplyDelete
  15. DIRECT: Elena told me: "I am a good athlete."
    INDIRECT: Elena told me that she was a good athlete.
    BY: Deanelli Julca

    ReplyDelete
  16. Magdiel told me that on Wednesday morning he saw me in the plaza.
    Magdiel told me that on Wednesday I was in the plaza.
    by: cristian calle

    ReplyDelete
  17. Direct a. Daniela said "you went to college"

    Indirect b. She said I went to college

    By Farid Pinedo

    ReplyDelete
  18. By: Alessandro Gomez

    1. Direct - Alessandro said "You'll get all your dreams, goals and everything you want with God ahead and your discipline "

    INDIRECT: He said I'll get all my dreams, goals and everything you want with God ahead and my Discipline "

    ReplyDelete
  19. DIRECT: Juanita said, “I have been writing this essay”
    INDIRECT: Juanita said that he had been writing that essay
    BY WIDMAN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juanita said that she had been writing that essay

      Delete
  20. 1. fiorela said: Let's exercise! 2. Fiorela asked me to exercise with her.
    By: Ruth Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  21. Direct: Sheyla said "I like to play with my dog"
    Indirect: Sheyla said that she likes to play with her dog

    ReplyDelete
  22. Direct: Evelin said, "Today will be my sister's birthday."
    Indirect: She said that today would be her sister's birthday.
    By. Noli Cubas

    ReplyDelete
  23. DIRECT: Sofia said "I help my friends"
    INDIRECT: Sofia said "I would help my friends."
    By: Paola Aguilar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. INDIRECT: Sofia said She would help her friends.****

      Delete
  24. Direct: Ana said "I'll take you to Brazil next year"
    Indirect: Ana said she would take me to Brazil next year.
    By Rocio Sanchez

    ReplyDelete
  25. DIRECT: Sara says: "I don't like to play volleybol"
    INDIRECT: Sara says she doesn't like to play volleybol
    By: Damaris Alvites

    ReplyDelete
  26. DIRECT: Angie said: "I invite you to dinner tonight"
    INDIRECT: said: "I invite you to dinner tonight"
    BY: Frank Tantarico

    ReplyDelete
  27. DIRECT: Ariana said "I teach my friends to play soccer INDIRECT: Ariana said "I would help my friends to play soccer.
    Linda Gutarra

    ReplyDelete
  28. DIRECT: John told me, “I have seen this movie.”
    INDIRECT: John said "he already saw the movie"

    ReplyDelete
  29. DIRECT: Daniel said: "That he will go to the farewell party"
    INDIRECT: Daniel said if he would go to the farewell party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. DIRECT: Daniel said: "I'll invite you to my farewell party"
      INDIRECT: He said he would invite me to his farewell party

      Delete
  30. STRAIGHT: Ruth said, "let's go have dinner at night".
    INDIRECT: Ruth asked me to go to dinner in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  31. DIRECT: Anderson said, “I will turn twenty today.”
    INDIRECT: She said she will turn twenty today

    ReplyDelete
  32. DIRECT: Anderson said, “I will turn twenty today.”
    INDIRECT: said he will turn twenty today

    ReplyDelete
  33. Direct: Jade said "you went on a trip"

    Indirect: She said I went on a trip

    ReplyDelete

  34. Direct: Edgar said "the trip will go well for me"
    Indirect: Edgar said that the trip would go well for me.
    By: Felix Ramirez

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  36. -DIRECT: Lucia told me, "we will go to the cinema to watch a movie at night"
    -INDIRECT: Lucia told me that we went to the cinema to watch a movie at night.
    By: Jose rafael

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Perfect

Accounting equation

Phrase and conversation